Copyright

All original content © 2011-2014. Photos and Text, unless otherwise stated, are by the author of Pork Bier Belly. If you want to use images or writing, please ask for permission prior to using.

Thursday, May 10

Spring has Sprung

We had a moment recently. One of those where he reminded me that he doesn’t like Rhubarb. After I’d slaved over baking The Crumble. And this is where the moment intensified. He said, “remember last year when you made something with rhubarb and strawberry and I didn’t enjoy it?” Yes it all came back to me. He doesn’t like Rhubarb. We’ve tried few times with the same results. So we I decided last night, each spring when I see Rhubarb at the farmer's market, I’ll buy it, make something delicious with it and then he’ll remind me post-eating, of course, he doesn’t like Rhubarb. And then I won’t make anything with it until the next year. This compromise works for both of us, I think. I get my annual fix and he doesn’t have to eat it more than once a year.

This is really a simple and delicious recipe if you enjoy this tart Spring fruit. With the addition of nuts, hazelnuts (walnuts would work in a pinch) it's splendid.  

Rhubarb Crumble
Serves 2-4

Filling
1/2 ounce butter
1 Pound rhubarb, cut into ½-inch pieces
2 ounce sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Topping
2 1/2 ounce all purpose flour
2 ounce butter, cold and cubed
1 1/4 ounce sugar
1 1/4 ounce loosely packed brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts (use any nuts you have on hand)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter an 8x8 square baking dish.

On medium heat, add butter to a saucepan, followed by rhubarb, sugar and vanilla. Cook until the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved, about three minutes. Stir occasionally. Add the filling ingredients to the buttered baking dish.

In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour and butter. Rub the butter into the flour with hands or use a fork. Mix until the flour and butter resemble a coarse texture. Add in the sugars and the nuts and mix well. Scatter the topping over the rhubarb filling.

Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until bubbly and browned.

Allow the crumble to cool five minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature. Vanilla ice cream is the best accompaniment.

3 comments:

  1. hey! i've been following along and I'm glad to see all these posts. I love rhubarb! I tried it in a dhal recipe once *it was soooooo good*

    also congrats on completing your first year there. Sounds like you're picking up fluency much more quickly than I did. I loved your post about how your husband speaks German once per week at his job. That's a great way to speed up fluency. I found shopping at the local markets to be my favorite way to learn and gain fluency. Have you made any friends with locals yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neeli,

    Glad to see you've followed the blog. Thanks for the well wishes and encouraging comments on learning German. We're doing our best.

    We've made more, closer American friends and couple German friends. It's not easy. How about you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took a while, but we had great neighbors and through mutual interests made a lot of friends. Meetup (the website) is good for meeting folks with similar interests, and I'm sure you'll meet a lot of people in the language classes. Then you'll really feel like it's home (I assure you, although you'll probably always get stares for "brown") That post cracked me up hard because I was nodding along going yep yep stares yep yep yep.

    ReplyDelete