Copyright

All original content © 2011-2014. Photos and Text, unless otherwise stated, are by the author of Pork Bier Belly. If you want to use images or writing, please ask for permission prior to using.

Saturday, March 16

Cauliflower Gratin

As I sit here with my stuff in front of me, ready to depart for a flight to one of my dream countries. I’ve dreamt of Spain for so many years I can’t believe it’s actually happening. You will hear about Spain once we’re back. Now, I want to share a recipe that I’ve loved and enjoyed repeatedly, especially during this cold winter. It’s Cauliflower Gratin. Gratin sounds fancy but it’s just cauliflower baked in a white cheese sauce.

I’ve made this with Broccoli with great success. I bet this would work with partially boiled and cubed potatoes too. Simple recipes like these deserve high praise for ease and rich flavors.

Cauliflower Gratin
Yield- 2 servings

1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
Salt & large pinch of freshly ground black pepper
a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 cup grated Gruyere or Emmentaler cheese
3/4 lb or 300 grams frozen cauliflower florets (these are often cooked and ready to use)
2 tablespoons fresh bread crumbs

Preheat the oven to 375°F or 190°C.

If using raw cauliflower, bring water to boil in a large pot. When water is bubbling, add cauliflower florets and cook for 4 minutes. Remove the florets from water and drain.

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add the flour, stirring often and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in heavy cream and milk into the butter-flour mixture. Whisk constantly and make sure to get rid of all the lumps. Cook for 3- 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. When the liquid is thickened, turn off the heat. Stir in salt to taste, pepper, nutmeg, and cheese.

Butter 1 quart square or oval baking dish. Pour 1/2 of the sauce on the bottom of the baking dish. Add the florets to the dish and then spread the rest of the sauce evenly on top. Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top, sprinkle with salt and pinch of pepper. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the top is browned. Serve hot.

This is supposed to serve 2 but I’ve cooked this for one many times. No one’s looking, or judging. 


5 comments:

  1. oh wow! have an awesome time! jamon iberico mmm and other good things :) i better catch up on your past travels! i'm behind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. I would have thought the same: "Oh, this is for 2? Oops." ;-)

    I recently made a potato, leek, and fennel gratin - adapted from the Barefoot Contessa's recipe - and it was really good! Perfect winter dish. I was inspired by your winter menu ideas and this ended my uninspired cooking phase.

    I must try it with cauliflower next time. Cauliflower always makes me feel virtuous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. incorporating fennel with leek and potatoes in a gratin- you just gave me a new idea for a recipe. I love cauliflower so I use it as often as I can.

      Delete
  3. Looks delicious, I am going to have to try it. Love cauliflower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. also love cauliflower and use it often! Let me know how it goes when you make it.

      Delete