Copyright

All original content © 2011-2014. Photos and Text, unless otherwise stated, are by the author of Pork Bier Belly. If you want to use images or writing, please ask for permission prior to using.

Thursday, March 7

Irish Soda Breads for Stew

A friend of ours recently had a baby boy couple weeks ago. Not insane, right? Except this is her second baby and the first baby turned 1 last week.  Yes, you read that correctly.  Two little ones under around 1. The first baby was born late February and the 2nd at the end of the same month.  


When both babies came home we friends delivered meals.  Last year, I made Indian food.  Everyone requests Indian food when they have an option. I don’t mind it.  This year, I chose to make beef stew.  I’ve had beef stew requested by clients, however I almost never taste the beef.  I don’t eat beef if I can help it.  It’s sort of religious but mostly because I’ve gone this long without it so it’s not pressing to change.  It’s on principle.  Sadly, I just learned one of my favorite wursts (sausages) here, Weißwurst, is made of veal and some pork.  Mind you, I won’t stop eating Weißwurst.  But when a menu item says Rindfleisch (beef) I don’t order it.  

I digress.  Not eating beef, intentionally, doesn’t stop me from cooking it.  I made this stew and it’s reliable and solid for winter.  And to go along with the stew I made cheese soda breads.  Initially I wanted to make Irish soda bread with the stew but then it evolved into mini cheese soda breads.  The base is still soda bread.  

After tasting one I concluded this is a solid recipe for a stew or to eat with butter and honey but it lacked an oomph.  I believe it needed butter in the recipe for that oomph.  I am sharing this to keep in the biscuit files and also as a memory of cooking food for a friend in Germany with two little babies.  

Mini Irish Soda Breads
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 cup grated Emmentaler cheese (cheddar would work)

Preheat oven to 425°F or 220°C.  Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.  

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.  Add in the grated cheese.  Stir in the buttermilk and honey.  Stirring just until everything is moistened.  (Do not overmix or the bread will be tough)
Divide the dough into 10 equal sized pieces.  I weighed each to 2.10 ounces.

Place baking sheet in the middle of the oven and bake for 12 to 14 minutes, until golden brown on top and bottom.  Wait few minutes before tasting the bread because the steam will burn the roof of your mouth.  Not that I would know, I’ve heard.  

In addition to making her food, I told our friend she’s brave and offered help.  And because I love seeing the 1 year old, she’s adorable! 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! Love the look of the mini loaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were worth the write up! :) With few tablespoons of butter in the batter, next time, these would be perfect for breakfast, snack or accompaniment to a meal.

      Delete